Monday, July 11, 2011

Attempt No:1

So here's a snapshot of my first attempt..

I think its important to be a good photographer first. Though I've been trying to photograph food for sometime, I'm nowhere near what the pros do. In fact, the only decent snap I have to date is that of a strawberry tart taken at Le Pain Quotidient which I've uploaded in the previous post.





I started out to make Rice, Dal and a vegetable curry but ended up with something quite different.







Pressure cook equal parts of rice & dal with enough salt and vegetables (in this case peas & carrots) with a spoon of bisibele bath powder (I used the MTR one). Its not the purest way to make the dish. Heck! even the recipe on the packet calls for elaborate measures. But for a single guy on his first attempt and that too trying to finish off in 20mins flat, this will do. And hey, it did taste decent..





I usually get hungry when I cook, so I made a snack too. Just cut up some mushrooms and braise them in white wine (the cheapest ones like Dia will do) with a dash of ginger-garlic paste. Spread it on dry roasted bread to get a quickie bruschetta. It did make for a good snack while cooking the rest of the meal..



For the side dish, I made a simple vegetable curry. Just boiled peas and carrots and reduced them in a gravy of tomato and sauteed onions. Also added the leftover braised mushrooms to it..

Voila! and dinner was served..





Seasoned food writers might turn in their graves, but this is my version and I'm sticking to it and am here to stay!!

World here I come..

* attempt the above at your own risk

No comments: